Saturday, September 5, 2009

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas




Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 375 pp
Isbn: 9780060791896
Published: 2004
Challenge This covers #3 Read a book that was used in the Summer 2009 Reading Challenge for the Fall 2009 Romance Reading Challenge.


First Sentence or two: London, 1841
Although Annabelle Peyton had been warned all her life never to take money from strangers, she made an exception one day...and quickly discovered why she should have heeded her mother's advice.

Synopsis:
Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.
Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.
Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.

Random Thoughts -What a WONDERFUL Book! Sensational! I was glued to the story. Page turner! This book made me have the range of emotions and feel so deeply for the couple. I laughed many times. (I got a funny look and a shake of the head from my husband one time.)
I held my breath and was so excited a couple times I needed to stop and take a deep breath just to calm down. I was very worried and cried at one point even. This is one powerful author. With a flick of her pen she can pull emotions from me. BRAVO. I was so enamored of all 4 wallflowers and can't wait to read the other 3, that I ran out and bought the very next one not wanting to take a chance that it will be checked out at the library.

Favorite Scene - Without question the game of rounders the 4 girls played sans dresses so that they could run the field. Getting caught was an extreme bonus that added the most loudest fit of giggles on my part.
I have a second most favorite scene that I have to mention because it absolutely melted my heart. When Annabelle and Simon are in Paris and a pair of men are trying to decide who will drink champagne from her shoe. Simon is one cool, dashing MAN, for the way he handled that situation. Want to know more? READ THE BOOK OMG!
Favorite Quotes- Not so much a quote this first bit but an exchange of letters between 2 of the wallflowers.

Dear Evie,
Impressed, amused, and somewhat apprehensive about what scrapes these Bowmans will land us in. Where, pray tell, are we to find a place where we may play Rounders-in-knickers unobserved? Yes, I am thoroughly shocked, you shameless hussy.

Dear Annabelle,
I am coming to believe that there are two kinds of people...those who choose to be masters of their own fate and those who wait in chairs while others dance. I would rather be one of the former than the latter. As to how and when Rounders game shall take place, I am satisfied to leave such details to the Bowmans.
With all fondness,
Evie the hussy


Rating - 5 Stars with out question!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really great - I need to post my challenge list today. I'm almost finished with the first book.

Marg said...

Having read Evie's book, I just want to say that that letter is an awesome fore telling of what she does! I would never have seen that if you hadn't of posted it because I read Annabel's book a few months before I read Evie's book! My favourite in this series in Devil in Winter which is Evie's story.

Jennifer The Forgetful Faerie Queen said...

Steph,
Great!! Can't wait to see your posts.
Marg,
The four girls together are such a treat to read about. They seem to come alive and jump off the pages at me. Can't wait to get to Evie's Story I am sure it will be Fabulous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails