Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas


Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: 368 pp
Isbn: 9780060562519
Published: February 2006
Challenge This covers #5 Read a book borrowed from the library or a friend for the Fall 2009 Romance Reading Challenge. (Now I checked it out from the library and started to read it. I happened to be going through my own books and found that I owned a copy of this one when I didn't believe that I had. So since I had the libraries copy I count this as a library book.)

First Sentence or two: As Sebastian, Lord St. Vincent, stared at the young woman who had just barged her way into his London residence, it occurred to him that he might have tried to abduct the wrong heiress last week at Stony Cross Park.

Synopsis:

A devil's bargain

Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.

But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts — which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.


Random Thoughts -This case of opposites attracting is Fabulous! Even the bad guy needs to be loved. LOL I felt so bad for Evie. I was glad to see her take charge of her own destiny. Deep down she had some spunk. As for Sebastian, I love him. He is a tortured Hero. I don't think things would of worked out between Evie and him had she played it any other way. Nothing like telling a Man what he can't have to make him Want it that much more.

Favorite Scene - I liked the scene where Sebastian taught Evie how to play billiards. This scene was very sexy. I also highly enjoyed the wedding scene. Nothing like a Scottish blacksmith to marry you, while his daughters sing to you. LOL

Favorite Quotes- St. Vincent said in a clipped voice, "It's not a love match. It's a marriage of convenience, and there's not enough warmth between us to light a birthday candle. Get on with it , if you please. Neither of us has had a proper sleep in two days." Then the blacksmith's heavy brows lowered. "I don't like ye," he announced.
St Vincent regarede him with exasperation. "Neither does my bride-to-be. But since that's not going to stop her from marrying me, it shouldn't stop you either. Go on."

Rating - 4 Stars

2 comments:

Marg said...

I love this book. My other favourite scene is where Evie takes control. She might be quite and shy, but she certainly has backbone!

Jennifer The Forgetful Faerie Queen said...

Yup this was a GREAT read!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails